Going on a San Diego family vacation? Looking for San Diego tourist attractions? Here are the top things to do in San Diego with your family. As a popular vacation destination, San Diego is rightly famous for its benign weather.
Unlike the northern states, with their harsh winters, San Diego enjoys pleasant outdoor living conditions year-round. The weather in San Diego is also relatively stable and predictable. In its southwest location, San Diego avoids most extreme weather events, such as the hurricanes that occasionally come ashore in the South and the seasonal tornadoes experienced in parts of the Mid-West. Southern California is also far enough north to avoid the high humidity and heavy seasonal rains that characterize the tropical regions.
San Diego is a maritime city, with a large number of attractive beaches where the great weather conditions can be enjoyed. It is a popular destination for surfers, and also for those seeking more sheltered beaches for families or just for soaking up the sun. Beaches play a big part in the San Diego lifestyle and can be considered one of the best San Diego tourist attractions.
So what are the other most popular San Diego tourist attractions that you can enjoy with your family? Here are some we really like:
- Other outdoor maritime activities abound – including sailing, kayaking, harbor cruises, seasonal whale watching and much more. San Diego is a major port and naval base with a long history that is reflected in the Maritime Museum and other displays of important historic ships.
- San Diego Sea World is a theme park attraction that builds on these associations with the ocean. It features displays and performances by a fascinating collection of creatures from the sea, including the popular Orca whales, dolphins and seals.
- The links between San Diego in the animal world continue at the San Diego Zoo, which is an internationally famous zoo renowned for its large collection of animals displayed in habitats that mimic their natural environment. The San Diego zoo is especially popular with visitors for its special collection of rare pandas.
- Associated with the San Diego Zoo is the San Diego Wild Animal Park where animals can be viewed in a natural setting resembling an African safari is definitely one of the best family oriented San Diego tourist attractions.
Close to the Zoo is Balboa Park, sometimes referred to as the jewel of San Diego. Balboa features gardens, museums, restaurants and other attractions, and is a great place for meeting up and people watching.
- For families, visiting the fun parks at Belmont Park and Legoland is a sure way to get the kids excited.
- Dining choices in San Diego match the best the world has to offer, such as in the Gaslamp District, which is the main downtown entertainment and shopping center. However, for an authentic early southern California experience with a Mexican twist, there is nothing to compare with Old Town San Diego, where historic buildings have been preserved to recreate the pioneering San Diego of the past.
- For sports enthusiasts San Diego frequently offers games featuring the high profile San Diego Chargers football team and the San Diego Padres baseball team; but, with its favorable outdoor environment, most sporting activities are available to watch or participate in somewhere in the San Diego region. Golf, naturally, is one of the most popular sports for visitors, and San Diego offers several top golf courses, such as the tournament circuit course at Torrey Pines.
Whichever of these San Diego tourist attractions you choose to do on your family vacation, you are guaranteed a good time.
Share this Page :
- 36 Enchanting & Fun Things to do at Night in Oahu: Hawaii After Dark - November 15, 2023
- Awesome 5-Day Family Itinerary for the Florida Space Coast - November 2, 2023
- Portugal Beach Cities: Your Guide To Best Beach Vacations in Portugal - November 1, 2023