Each year families across the country get together for family reunions. If you don’t get to see out-of-state family members very often, a family reunion is a great chance to introduce your children to their relatives. It’s time to say, “Come on kids, let’s go meet our family!”
Before you make plans to attend your family’s reunion, you may want to prepare your children ahead of time, especially if they are very young. Young children are often shy around people they don’t know, so it may take some coaxing to get them to open up while there. Here are some ways to prepare your child for their first family reunion:
- Break out the family album and show them pictures of people they may see at the reunion. You may want to create a book of pictures with names so your child will know who Aunt Sally is and that she belongs to Uncle Richard. Put pictures together in family groups to help them know who is part of which family.
- Spend some time with family your child is comfortable with and let them tell stories about their brothers and sisters, if they expect them to attend. Knowing ahead of time what to expect will make going to a family reunion less daunting for a child.
- A great family reunion idea is to let them help plan the route to travel to get there. If they feel like they are a part of the trip, they may not be as scared. Allow them to take their favorite stuffed animal or something else that will comfort them.
- Tell them about all the fun you had with their aunts, uncles, and cousins as you were growing up. Help them see that their family is a group of people that they can feel safe around, but let them know that they can stay with you until they become more comfortable.
- Don’t forget to tell them that there will be children their age that they can play with. They may even end up having so much fun they’ll ask how soon you can get together again on this family vacation!
Family Cruises – A great idea for a family reunion vacation!
- Since most family reunions include a lot of food, plan on taking some of your child’s favorite foods. This way you can make sure there will be something your child will eat. Make sure you fix their plate so they can sample small amounts of other’s food.
- Ask family members to respect your child’s space. Don’t force your children to give your Aunt Martha a hug or kiss. Let them get to know someone and then decide for themselves how affectionate they will be with them. You may find them giving hugs willingly as you leave to go home.
Family reunions are a great time to reconnect with your loved ones. Unfortunately, they usually only occur once a year. Take time to prepare your child when you introduce them for the first time, but make sure you have fun – that’s what makes great family reunions.
Family Reunion Accommodations
Best Family Beach Vacations recommends these resources to help you plan the perfect Family Reunion for everyone.
Share this Page :
- Tropical Bliss: Enjoy the Sun, Sand, & Sea in These 5 Exotic Paradise Destinations - January 3, 2024
- 36 Enchanting & Fun Things to do at Night in Oahu: Hawaii After Dark - November 15, 2023
- Awesome 5-Day Family Itinerary for the Florida Space Coast - November 2, 2023