Looking for the best Mediterranean family beaches? If you are planning a family vacation to Europe then a beach vacation should be a must do on your list. There are plenty of beautiful beaches in the Mediterranean and we can tell you what the best Mediterranean family beaches are.
If you are planning a family getaway to Europe and you love the beach, perhaps Mediterranean beaches are the best option for you. With beautiful coastlines, crystal clear waters, and an abundance of activities to choose from, Mediterranean beaches provide something for everyone in the family.
The Mediterranean Sea divides Europe from Africa and makes the boundary for over a dozen nations such as the Greek Islands, Italy, France, and Spain. Countries like Israel, Egypt, Morocco, and Cyprus are pretty popular with the tourists and showcase the Mediterranean’s exotic beaches.
Nature lovers say that the Mediterranean is not just a place but in fact it is a state of mind. The mild climate in the Mediterranean and its hot dry summers makes for perfect beach weather. The deep blue waters are accentuated with the warm hospitality of the Mediterranean people who are well known as being passionate with a real zest for life.
What my family loved best when we visited the Mediterranean was the variety of amazing beaches. There are perfect white sandy beaches, secluded coves, sea caves, and rocky shorelines that are perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Another was the natural beauty and the spectacular color of some the waters. From the azure sea and turquoise coast, these Mediterranean destinations did not disappoint.
Tips for Visiting Mediterranean beaches with Kids
If you’re looking to take your kids to one of the beautiful Mediterranean beaches in Europe, here are some tips for you:
We hope that this guide will help you plan your perfect Mediterranean family beach vacation and that you have a wonderful time with your family! Enjoy soaking up the sun, swimming in crystal clear waters, and exploring all of the amazing sites that Europe has to offer.
When is the Best Time to Visit the Best Mediterranean family beaches?
Mid-May to mid-October is the best time to visit Mediterranean family beaches. These months are generally warm and sunny, with the temperature ranging from 21°C (69°F) in May to 30°C (86°F) in August. The sea water is also at its coolest during these months, making swimming a pleasant and enjoyable experience.
If you are planning your holidays for August, be sure to make the arrangements way in advance. This is because the coastal towns are often full with vacationing Europeans during this time.
What are the Best Areas to Find the Best Mediterranean Beaches for Families in Europe?
Italy, France, Spain and Croatia have some of the most beautiful best Mediterranean family beaches in Europe.
Visiting France with the Kids? Check out these amazing family vacation spots
Head to the French Riviera for some exquisite Mediterranean coastline. Nice, Cannes and St Tropez are ideal locations for a family beach vacation with plenty of kid-friendly activities on hand.
Cannes is one of the best-known cities of the French Riviera and is well-known for its sandy Mediterranean beaches which are animated all year round. You can expect to see people sunbathing and swimming right through the winter months.
There are lots of private beach clubs where you can eat or rent a lounger for the day and at either end there are public beaches, and a municipal beach where you can rent deck chair and watch the world go by.
St Restitude, located near Calvi north-west, is best for a peaceful hideaway. This hidden gem has a secluded beach with clean water, soft sand, and adorable pine woods in plenty.
Corsica is an Island and is sophisticated, flashy, and perhaps among the best places in the Mediterranean for water sports. Corsica’s 600 miles coastline comprises a number of secluded coves and deserted shores.
There is also Palombaggia Beach, Golfe di Sogno Beach, and Santa-Giulia Beach near the couth-east Porto-Vecchio, an upmarket resort town situated on a rocky hill. The town is very popular among the tourists for its beaches, cafes, restaurants, yacht marina, lively streets, and a wide range of accommodation.
The best beach in this town is Palombaggia Beach, a perfect crescent of white sand that is sandwiched between the blue sea and dune clusters.
Visiting Italy with the Kids? Check out these amazing family vacation spots
Italy is full of wonderful family-friendly beaches, from the Riviera Romagnola to Sicily.
Riviera Romagnola has some of Italy’s cleanest and safest beaches for families. The sea is shallow around Rimini allowing even little kids to play safely in the water. Salty air, warm sand, and a number of beaches with sandcastle-building facilities make it an ideal spot for family vacations.
The beaches around Liguria are also perfect for families. The crystal clear waters, clean blue sea, and soft white sand provide the perfect setting to enjoy frolicking in the waves with your kids. You can take long walks along the seafront and visit a number of nearby attractions.
Sicily is home to some stunning beaches with crystal clear waters, perfect for swimming and snorkeling. Spiaggia di Isola Bella, located near Taormina on the east coast of Sicily is an idyllic spot for family holidays. With its pristine white sand and crystal clear waters, this beach is ideal for kids of all ages to explore.
One of best beaches in Italy is Terracina, situated at 1.5 hours south-west of Rome towards Naples. The Terracina beach is among the best beaches on Italy’s mainland and is very long, wide with plenty of soft sand to offer its visitors.
Visiting Spain with the Kids? Check out these amazing family vacation spots
Spain has some of the most beautiful beaches for family holidays, especially along its Mediterranean coast. The Costa Brava is one of Spain’s top destinations for family beach vacations with its miles and miles of sandy coves and rocky inlets.
Beaches like Sant Sebstià, Lloret de Mar and Tossa de Mar offer plenty of activities for kids and adults alike.
The Balearic Islands is also a great spot for family holidays, with its stunning beaches and crystal clear waters. Ibiza is particularly popular with families as it has a range of attractions to keep all ages entertained.
The lovely beach at Playa d’en Bossa is perfect for families with its shallow water, sand-castle building opportunities and safe swimming conditions.
The Canary Islands are another fantastic destination for family beach holidays, with year-round sunshine and plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained. From the rugged coastline of Lanzarote to the golden sands of Gran Canaria, there’s something for everyone in the Canary Islands.
Las Canteras Beach in Gran Canaria is particularly popular with families, with its clean white sand and variety of activities.
Cap de Begur, situated nearly 40 mins from Girona offers plentiful Spanish culture both old and new together with a collection of beautiful small beaches such as Aiguablava, the nudist (families beware) L’Illa Roja, and the family-oriented Llanfranc and Platja de Raco.
Visiting Croatia with the Kids? Check out these amazing family vacation spots
Croatia is known for its stunning Mediterranean beaches and coastal towns, making it the perfect destination for a family beach vacation. The coastline of Croatia has something to offer everyone from beautiful pebble bays to long stretches of sandy beaches with plenty of activities for kids and adults alike.
The Makarska Riviera on Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast is perfect for a family beach holiday, with its clear blue waters and sandy beaches. The main beach in Makarska, Tucepi Beach, has shallow water making it ideal for swimming and snorkeling with the kids. Plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas provide respite from the hot Mediterranean sun.
The island of Hvar, just off the coast of Croatia, is a popular spot for family beach vacations. The main beaches on the south and east coasts are beautiful stretches of sand with crystal clear waters making them ideal for swimming. There are plenty of activities to keep the kids entertained from windsurfing to sailing and kayaking.
Dubrovnik is also a great destination for family beach holidays. The main beach in Dubrovnik, Banje Beach, has plenty of amenities to keep the kids entertained with umbrellas and sunbeds, waterslides and pedalos. There’s also a range of other activities such French boules and volleyball.
If you’re looking for something more off the beaten track, Plitvice Lakes National Park is a great spot for family beach holidays. The park has 16 lakes and dozens of waterfalls making it the perfect place to explore nature with the kids.
You can even take a boat ride on one of the lakes or take a hike to the top of a waterfall. With its stunning scenery and abundance of wildlife, Plitvice Lakes National Park is an ideal spot for a family beach vacation.
Must See 14 Mediterranean beaches for Families in Europe
So, without further ado, here are the best Mediterranean family beaches that you should check out this summer:
1. Agios Prokopis Beach, Greece: Crystalline waters and powdery sand make for a postcard-perfect beach experience in Greece. This beach is located on the island of Lesvos and offers some of the best snorkeling opportunities in the Mediterranean.
2. Elafonissi Beach, Greece: This beach is often referred to as a paradise on Earth and it’s easy to see why. Its pink sand and shallow lagoon make it ideal for families who want to relax while they bask in the sun.
3. Spaggia di Talamone, Italy: Located on the northwest coast of Tuscany, this beach is known for its breathtakingly beautiful views of the Gulf of Talamone. The sandy beach has shallow waters ideal for swimming and there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby to enjoy after a day at the beach.
4. Calanque d’En Vau, France: Located near Marseille, the Calanque d’En Vau is one of the most picturesque coves in France. Its turquoise waters are perfect for swimming and its white cliffs provide plenty of shade from the sun.
5. Plage de Saleccia, Corsica: This beach is located on the northern coast of Corsica and it offers a beautiful setting with its white sand and turquoise waters. The shallow water makes it perfect for children who want to swim or just dip their toes in the sea.
6. La Concha Beach, Spain: This beach is located in the Basque Country and it offers stunning views of the Cantabrian Sea. The golden sands make this beach a perfect spot for those who want to relax and take in the beauty of nature.
7. Playa de los Muertos, Spain: This beach is located in the Costa Brava region of Spain and it offers a great setting for families. The shallow waters are ideal for swimming and there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby for visitors to enjoy after a day at the beach.
8. Platja d’Aro, Spain: Located north of Barcelona, Platja d’Aro is an ideal beach for families who want to enjoy a fun-filled day. This beach has plenty of activities such as snorkeling and kayaking, making it perfect for all ages.
9. Cala de Maro, Spain: This beach is located in the Costa del Sol region of Spain and it offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. The powdery sand and crystal clear waters make this a perfect spot for families who want to take in the beauty of nature.
10. La Lanzada Beach, Galicia: Located on the Atlantic coast, this beach is known for its stunning views of the blue ocean and its golden sands. The shallow waters make it perfect for swimming and there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby to enjoy after a day at the beach.
11. Zlatni Rat Beach, Croatia: This beach is located on the island of Brac and it’s considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Croatia. The golden sands and shallow waters make it perfect for kids who want to enjoy a day at this beautiful beach.
12. Lasica Beach, Croatia: Located in the town of Makarska, Lasica Beach offers beautiful views of the Adriatic Sea. The crystal clear waters and soft sand make it perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
13. Banje Beach, Croatia: This beach is located in Dubrovnik and it’s considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Croatia. The white sands and turquoise waters make it ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
14. Saharun Beach, Croatia: This beach is located on the island of Dugi Otok and it offers stunning coastline views of the Adriatic Sea. The soft sand and shallow waters make it perfect for families who want to enjoy a day at the beach.
These are just a few of the many Mediterranean spectacular beaches that offer a great holiday experience. Whether you’re looking for an action-packed beach adventure or a peaceful day of beach-side relaxation, there’s something for everyone in the Mediterranean.
So grab your sunscreen and get ready to explore some of the best family beaches Europe has to offer for your family beach vacation!
FAQ’s for Family Beaches in the Mediterranean in Europe
What is the warmest beach in the Mediterranean?
The warmest beach in the Mediterranean is Playa de Muro Beach in Mallorca, Spain.
What the best sandy beach for families in Europe?
La Concha Beach in Spain is a great beach for families due to its golden sand and shallow waters.
What is the most stunning beach in Europe?
Plage de Saleccia in Corsica offers stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea as well as white sands and turquoise waters.
Which countries have the best beaches in the Mediterranean?
Spain and Croatia are two of the most popular countries for family beach lovers in the Mediterranean.
What activities can families enjoy at these beaches in the Mediterranean?
Families can enjoy activities like swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, sunbathing, and more. There are also plenty of restaurants and beach bars nearby for visitors to enjoy.
Where is the bluest water in Mediterranean?
Cala de Maro located in Costa del Sol, Spain offers crystal clear waters and stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea. In addition don’t miss the opportunity to experience the crystal-clear waters of the Ionian Sea, which are renowned for their clarity in the Mediterranean.
The beautiful cliffs surrounding the gorgeous beaches add to the charm, and you’ll find yourself surrounded by a stunning turquoise color that inspires relaxation and admiration.
Is the Mediterranean hotter than the Caribbean?
The Mediterranean beach season runs from April to November, with the best weather occurring from May to September. Winters in the Mediterranean are cooler compared to the Caribbean, which some people may prefer over the hotter temperatures found on the islands.
- Tropical Bliss: Enjoy the Sun, Sand, & Sea in These 5 Exotic Paradise Destinations - January 3, 2024
- 36 Enchanting & Fun Things to do at Night in Oahu: Hawaii After Dark - November 15, 2023
- Awesome 5-Day Family Itinerary for the Florida Space Coast - November 2, 2023